Current:Home > MarketsRekubit-EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back -消息
Rekubit-EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
Rekubit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 14:38:02
BRUSSELS (AP) — Some European Union countries on RekubitThursday doubled down on their decision to rapidly halt asylum procedures for Syrian migrants in Europe, but said that it was too early to consider sending any of the hundreds of thousands of people who have fled since 2011 back home.
Austria, Belgium, Germany, Greece, Finland, Ireland, Sweden and non-EU country Norway suspended asylum applicationsfrom Syrians in the wake of Bashar Assad’s fall. France is weighing whether to take similar action, at least until Syria’s new leadership and security conditions become clearer.
The decisions do not mean that Syrian asylum-seekers will be deported. The EU’s executive branch, the European Commission, has said that currently “the conditions are not met for safe, voluntary, dignified returns to Syria.”
“We need to wait a few more days to see where Syria is heading now,” German Interior Minister Nancy Faeser said. “What is the situation? What about the protection of minorities? What about the protection of the people? And then, of course, there could be repatriation.”
Asked by reporters whether it would make sense to organize repatriations at an EU level, Faeser said “it would be very expedient to organize this together.”
But she stressed that Syrians who work in Germany and abide by its laws are welcome to stay. Over 47,000 asylum claims by Syriansare pending in Germany, a main destination in Europe for those who have fled since 2011.
“This is not a long term pause as far as I’m concerned,” Irish Justice Minister Helen McEntee told reporters. “It’s really positive that the Assad regime has come to an end. At the same time, we can all see that it’s not clear what will happen next.”
The arrival in Europe in 2015 of well over 1 million refugees –- most fleeing the conflict in Syria –- sparked one of the EU’s biggest political crises as nations bickered over who should host them and whether other countries should be forced to help. Those tensions remain even today.
Almost 14,000 Syrians applied for international protection in Europe this year up to September, according to the EU’s asylum agency. Around 183,000 Syrians applied for asylum in all of last year. On average, around one in three applications are accepted.
Already on Monday, despite deep uncertainty about the country’s future, hundreds of Syrian refugees gathered at two border crossings in southern Turkey, eagerly anticipating their return home following the fall of Bashar Assad’s government.
In the days since Assad’s abrupt fall, rebel leader Ahmad al-Sharaa, formerly known as Abu Mohammed al-Golani, has sought to reassure Syrians that the group he leads — Hayat Tahrir al-Sham, or HTS – does not seek to dominate the country and will continue government services.
HTS appears on the EU’s anti-terrorism sanctions list as an affiliate of Al-Qaeda. That freezes any assets it has in Europe and prevents European citizens and companies from doing business with the group or funding it. Al-Golani is subject to a travel ban and asset freeze.
Belgium’s interior ministry said Thursday that the whole of the 27-nation EU must monitor Syrian migration flows, amid concern that Assad loyalists might seek refuge in Europe.
It said that around 100 of its nationals are in Syria, and that intelligence services believe that eight of them might have links to HTS.
On Tuesday, the EU’s top diplomat expressed concern that Syria might violently fall apart like neighboring Iraq, or Libya and Afghanistan if its territorial integrity and the rights of minorities are not protected.
“The transition will present huge challenges in Syria and in the region,” EU foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas told European lawmakers during a special hearing.
The U.N.’s refugee agency has called for “patience and vigilance” in the treatment of Syrians who have sought international protection, and believes that much will depend on whether Syria’s new leaders are prepared to respect law and order.
___
Kirsten Grieshaber in Berlin contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (826)
Related
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- Former President Jimmy Carter attends Georgia peanut festival ahead of his 99th birthday
- Here’s when your favorite show may return as writers strike is on the verge of ending
- Journalist killed in attack aimed at police in northern Mexico border town
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- California Gov. Gavin Newsom signs bills to bolster protections for LGBTQ people
- Are there any 'fairy circles' in the U.S.? Sadly, new study says no.
- The best movies we saw at New York Film Festival, ranked (including 'All of Us Strangers')
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- David McCallum, star of hit TV series ‘The Man From U.N.C.L.E.’ and ‘NCIS,’ dies at 90
Ranking
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Amazon opening 2 operations facilities in Virginia Beach, creating over 1,000 jobs, Youngkin says
- Bill Belichick delivers classic line on Taylor Swift-Travis Kelce relationship
- Sophie Turner and Joe Jonas Reach Temporary Agreement Over 2 Kids Amid Lawsuit
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Why is Russian skater's hearing over her Olympic doping shrouded in secrecy?
- Amazon opening 2 operations facilities in Virginia Beach, creating over 1,000 jobs, Youngkin says
- David McCallum, star of hit TV series 'The Man From U.N.C.L.E.' and 'NCIS,' dies at 90
Recommendation
Trump's 'stop
Rare tickets to Ford’s Theatre on the night Lincoln was assassinated auction for $262,500
Rare tickets to Ford’s Theatre on the night Lincoln was assassinated auction for $262,500
Molotov cocktail thrown at Cuban embassy in Washington, DC, Secret Service says
What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
6 people, including 3 children, killed in Florida after train crashes into SUV on tracks
Japan’s Kishida unveils the gist of a new economic package as support for his government dwindles
Hulk Hogan Marries Sky Daily in Florida Wedding Ceremony 2 Months After Getting Engaged